Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Yi and I saw The Chronicles on Narnia last night. ‘Twas good. Two things struck me…

Turkish Delight. When I read the book as a child I assumed Turkish delight must be a savory dish with mushrooms and rich gravy. Heck, Edmund made it his first wish out in the cold snowy nowhere of the forest directly after drinking cocoa. That’s what I always wanted when I came in from a snowy walk in the woods with my parents and brother. Even after I knew it had to be a candy, I kept thinking it must be something warmer and richer. I don’t know why I couldn’t imagine it as a sweet, but I couldn’t.

Needless to say, when I got the chance to sample some many years later on a foreign shore (I may have actually done this in Ankara, Turkey, or perhaps Alexandria, Egypt?) I jumped at it. I finally accepted when I saw it that it really was a sweet, but I was expecting something like a soft delectable gumdrop based on appearance.

It was nothing like a gumdrop. It was foul. I bought a small assortment that contained orange, lemon, spearmint, rose and bergamot flavors. To this day I do not know what bergamot is nor do I particularly wish to learn except to avoid it more efficiently.
And do not eat things that are rose flavored. Roses are meant for smelling and looking at, perhaps candying the petals for decoration.

I have forgiven Edmond for betraying his family but I cannot forgive him for that slimy/soft flour-covered goo of Turkish delight.

Aslan’s eyes. I looked a lion in the eyes once. I was staring at him and he casually turned his head to stare back. For the first instant I thought hey, coo…. but before that thought could fully form I was mesmerized.

Somewhere deep in me the prey instinct kicked in. I breathed shallowly. My legs turned to jelly. My heart jumped and then started to pound adrenaline through my veins. I couldn’t look away. It was as if he was deciding about me. Weighing me as a threat or food. I felt like food.

Then my intellect kicked back in. I blinked. I remembered I was in the Land Rover. I remembered he had just had hot wild lion sex with his lady friend in front of us. The chances he was interested in eating me were minimal. Relief flooded my muscles as I relaxed into the seat.

He’s not a tame lion.

1 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"he had just had hot wild lion sex with his lady friend in front of us"

I'll assume that they left that part out of the movie. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home