Tuesday, January 24, 2006

You Have To Be Carefully Taught

"You've got to be taught
To hate and fear
You've got to be taught
From year to year
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!."
-Oscar Hammerstein, 1949 "South Pacific"


Ok, last time I tried to write something with more than basic surface coverage it disappeared like Elijah in the desert. You won't need your life jacket for this one, but hey, it's not a mini-list.

So I’m ok. But tired. God and I are arguing again. What’s with a kindergartener shooting another one? Why am I on my fourth pill and still no relief from pain? What’s up with kids just skipping exams?

These are the moments I do wonder a bit about the nature of life in relation to God and eternity.
And I don’t type this because it’s popular to be annoyed by idiotic Christian bumper stickers, but as a testimony to the impulse control the spirit must be growing in me. Yesterday I was behind a Plymouth Voyager—standard sunk-into-suburbia type with soccer mom.

Then I read the bumper sticker: Read your Bible. HOMOSEXUALITY is an ABOMINATION. Homos don’t go to heaven. Protect our families.

How’s that for Christian love?

These were stacked in a neat little paragraph with black print on yellow plastic. Visually obnoxious and just not a good addition to my day.

So the question on everyone’s mind—did she floor it and ram the crap put of her Malibu? No, I turned a corner and ran over the curb. Kinda a little victory.

This added to the racial slurs on the walls in the bathrooms lately is enough to make me wonder just how far we've come since the sixties.

Anyway, auditions are up again. I'm ready to audtion for something myself, but where would I find the time? That reminds me. I should be in bed. Night.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger The Sasquatch said...

How’s that for Christian love?
It isn't. And I doubt she realizes that the Bible also says annoying soccer moms have exactly the same chance of getting to heaven as homosexuals, or anybody else for that matter.

Me, especially

 

Post a Comment

<< Home