Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Coming to Riverview Part II

A little more than two years ago I started going to Riverview. In late August or early September of 2003 I attended my first Riverview service. I’d been lonely at the church I had been active at through my college years for a while. I still enjoyed the services, but didn’t really feel connected anymore. Most of my friends had moved on and I just never seemed to click with the newbies. I’d stopped working with the middle schoolers the year before (I had all I could handle with my classes at school).
There just wasn’t a sense of community for me there. I couldn’t stand being one of few twenty-something singles there anymore. And I felt odd bringing people there. That was probably the final deciding factor-- I needed somewhere that would support sharing faith by being welcoming, interesting and open.
Sometimes I felt my own closeness to God slipping away simply because I lacked similarly dedicated people to converse with. Fellowship is necessary. It’s not that there weren’t good people, because there were, but I lacked people who could walk with me instead of just remembering the road.
I couldn’t be only sharing and giving of my faith and not miss the fellowship of other believers to wrestle the messy questions with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home