Friday, January 05, 2007

Ah, Airports. The Great Equalizer.

I have returned to my humble abode from the land of sunshine and fun. So much fun in fact, that I'll have to space it out so you aren't overwhlemed. Simply whelmed will do;)

As for the airport thingy.... thank you Kim and Steve and Amy and Greg and Deb who pretty much went through each exciting and frustrating change with me. I was supposed to leave from Lansing on Friday but left out of Detroit on Saturday, on the way home there were three delays, six flight changes and the realization that there are very few men in the world (or women for that matter) who are legally authorized to tell me to take off my clothes in public. And they can make the annoying guy behind me do the same thing. Not fun. Not fun at all at 4 am.

But I made it in time to see the ring as these two got engaged:

Wedding's in 2008.

I have no idea what I was doing with my eyes in this one. I think it must be that I had them completely closed in the others....


On Christmas Eve we left Tom and Liesel with her family and drove over to do the midnight service at the church we always visit when we're there (except the year my uncle and I messed up and attended a service in Moldovan) and did the grandpa thing in Vegas. We did a lot this trip (mostly free or deeply discounted). David had never been before so we popped in to see the fountain shows at Caeser's Palace


then wandered around the VERY VERY expensive shops. David found a silk shirt on sale for a mere $595. Um... nope. He didn't get that for Christmas.


Then we wandered over to the part of the Mirage where you can see the white tigers without paying (hey, I'm cheap)


And took advantage of the midway and free circus performances at Circus Circus. I managed to hit the jackpot on two different midway games so we took home a lovely pillow (that's my hair blowing directly out behind me--it was really that windy!)




We also managed to get 50% off tickets (visit tix4tonight.com, print the coupon, show up. Why haven't I done this before?) to the celebrity impersonater show Legends. Very cool. I've always wanted to see a fake Elvis in Las Vegas--and he was a good one. Sting was pretty impressive too.

We couldn't take pictures there, but afterwards we wandered across the street to the Bellagio to find the Chihuly in the lobby. Dale Chihuly is a large-scale glass artist (We were slightly less impressed with him when we discovered he had a team to help him execute his pieces). His show in Kalamazoo was one of our first dates.




Ok, if you're still with me, you might be excited for tomorrow's series entitled "Madame Tussaud's, Bodies And A Bit More Chihuly". It will eventually be followed by "Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, New Year's Eve On The Strip And No, I'm Still Not Engaged".

2 Comments:

At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't until about 2/3 down your post and saw your picture when I finally figured out that I wasn't reading Holly's blog like I thought I was. Boy was I confused.

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Is David playing the air guitar? Maybe he was inspired by the Blue Man Group and Shaquille O'Neal...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home