Wednesday, July 19, 2006

He Does This Without a Net



Mark: Should we take down that huge one next?
Me: Are you sure we can do that?
Mark: Yeah, sure. Why not?
Me: It’s really up there and over the power line and kinda…dead. Should I call Phillip? (Mark and Philip took down a bunch of limbs in Philip’s yard recently)
Mark: I think I’ll climb up and crawl out on that limb.
Me: Um…
Mark: Do you think it’ll hold me?
Me: The bark-less dead one? Umm… I think you’d better work from that V.

Mark climbs up the twenty-foot ladder, shimmies a bit further up the limb and starts cutting. I stand and uselessly hold the ladder, try to keep bugs out of my cleavage, fret and pick tree out of my hair.

Mark: cheerfully This is crazy.

Me: succinctly Yup. (Inside my head: Well, he’s still got good health insurance, no dependants and his mother is at least a four hour drive away. She’d have calmed down by then. Right? At least it’s not David up there. But he likes semi-dangerous things too. Jenny had to put up with Pete breathing fire. May be this is a Wild-at-Heart guy thing. But I want to breathe fire. I’m not a guy. Damn bugs. Would all the products in my hair be a problem? Will I see Pete Friday? Maybe he’ll--)

Mark: matteof-factly Just wanted to make sure you know.
Me: sweetly Just remember you can’t drive to California if you’re in traction.

A moment later.
Mark: joyfully I'm a cowboy!
Me: resignedly, deep sigh Yup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home