Wednesday, June 28, 2006

And Meg is Back! Briefly.

Every time I’ve stepped into the East Lansing Meijer lately, my pervading thought has been “This is not going well”. They’ve moved everything around in a store I’ve been going to since before I could drive. I can’t find anything! Not even kitty litter (and we all know how important that is even if she is a little cat)! Last night I went on a shopping trip about 11:30pm ( I was up north with Cat & Heidi & sometimes Pam for a few days and had had too much sitting on my arse after seeing David over the weekend too go to bed when I got home) and I have decided it really was the best time to go—they’re restocking everything so there are lots and lots of people who also don’t know where anything is to ask where things are but they have a better idea of a general region than I do so ok, I’ll go look over there nice man. Whoops! You meant Australia, not Asia, no worries, I’ll just get on another plane and fly to the other side of the store.

So today I was back in there getting landscaping fabric and cucumbers when I decided I wanted a magazine or two for the road trip to New York this weekend. Not having a better idea of where to look I headed back to the area they used to be in. Alas, there is now hardware there (but I did find the kitty litter on the way). I must have looked distressed (I am very good at looking distressed when needed) because a very cheerful little ball of a man rolled over to me and handed me a…..MAP! Good heavens! There was a map! All this time! He is now most certainly my favorite Meijer worker.

I used said map to meander towards what used to be the candle area and look for a Newsweek and The Economist (happily singing “map, map, map. Map, map, map, map” in a ants-go marching manner all the way). I was slightly miffed to find the Newsweek in the “Men’s Interest” section, so you can imagine my irritation when I asked the gangly teen worker where they might be hiding The Economist and after he informed me that they no longer carry it he proffered a Bride magazine. You will be happy to know, gentle readers, that I did not beat him senseless with a roll of landscaping fabric. I did, however, in my best McGonagal impression, inform him that was most certainly not the way in which to divert a lady customer’s wrath at discontinuing her reading material.

Past that, things are calm. I think. We had a great time at the lake. So great it makes me sad it’ll probably be Christmas before we do it again. New York kinda worries me because his sister is decidedly cooler than me and I want her to like me. Soon I hope to see grandpa in Las Vegas and my parents are coming in a week. And we may have found a church in Cincinnati ( though we are still taking reccommendations) It's an inner city church about ten minutes from his house. But it may not have any young 30sish people whichwould disqualify it for daily wear and make it an accessory to acting out faith instead of the churhc home. Oh, and David is involved in Moveon.org now as well as the Democrats in Ohio and therefore I seem to be too. They get all weird about me voting in another state, but not about me taking part so that's that. He’s extra sexy when he’s politically active. Anything else? Hmmm….no..wait!.. The Taco Bell guy told me I looked good today. I thought that was odd, since we do not see each other on a social basis and I do not go to Taco Bell that often, but hey, I’ll take it where I can get it.

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger The Sasquatch said...

As a former Cincinnatian, I have three suggestions for churches, which I share in no particular order.

Vineyard Cincinnati. I know. I know. Vineyards are weird and icky, but this one isn't so bad. The church was founded based on the idea of servant evangelism. Basically the idea is you go clean somebody's toilet or hand them some free groceries. You might also ask them if they need prayer, and, if they say no, you go on your merry way. The music is decent, the messages have a vague, hippie-ish feel to them, and they like to mix things up with various artstic expressions now and again. This church is located in Springdale (close to I-275 and I-75), so its in the suburbs. But the drive isn't so bad on Sundays.
http://www.cincyvineyard.com/vinhom.html

Crossroads Community Church. Another mega church. This one is of the same vein as the vineyard, but is slightly more edgy. Kind of like the difference between a suburban hippie kid and downtown hippie kid. This church is closer to downtown, so it's a bit more gritty. They have a lot of mid-week services for those people who wish to learn more as well as a vibrant and active arts scene that you might not find at the vineyard. The pastors deliver amazing messages and the life groups/bible studies are good, too. On Super Bowl Sunday, they have several different pastors preaching dueling messages while officials call fouls and the announcers make comments and score points. It can be a bit overbearing at times, but it's good. Plus, they have a free soda fountain! This church is located in Oakley near OH-562 and I-71. Traffic can be heavy and the streets are weird, so go early your first time. Park in the Circuit City lot behind the church.
http://www.crossroadscommunity.net/

Finally, there is a church I have never attended. I don't know what it's called, but its on the corner of McMillan and Chicasaw just south of the University of Cincinnati campus. This church is much smaller, maybe only 100 - 200 members. Last I heard, this church was made up of young professionals who had decided to live in some of the poorer communities in Cincinnati and attempt to revitalize them on a small scale basis. I don't know their theology, but the idea sounds good to me! There is a coffee shop in the back of the church where you can sometimes hear groovy local acoustic artists on teh weekends. What do you expect? It IS right next to a major university. Plus, across the street is St. Monica St. George cathedral which has some amazing art and stained glass windows. you should check that out regardless.

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home