Saturday, July 29, 2006

The garage sale is not yet a rousing success. Ten more dollars and we’ll be in net profit, but that’s going to require a lot of good weather and customers. Right now the weather is ideal. Mid 70s, and sunny but my driveway isn’t in full sun yet. Now yesterday, it was miserable. I threw out a bunch of candles because they melted together on the table. The air was so thick it was as if someone had grabbed a damp towel and was insistent on wrapping it around me for a prolonged hug. I escaped into the living room, put the fan on me and opened the front blind only enough to be able to see if anyone was walking up.

If I can just sell the tent or bike or daybed or warm woolen winter coat… Actually a lot of my clothes have been going pretty well. I need a college kid to happen by for all the pots and pans.

But the benefits of the sale are worth it anyway. The sorting was the hard part, but I’m getting rid of a driveway’s worth of stuff, the carrying burns calories, I have some things I’ll sell on ebay if they don’t go, it’s not hard work—I have time to sit and read I have time to think and reflect.

And this is what I’m reflecting on: The long distance relationship is good for many things, but my social life besides him is not one of them. I need to get back into reaching out. I’ve been very comfortable with Mark across the street and Amy upstairs, other people on the phone. But Mark is gone, Amy is going and I really don’t like the phone anymore. It was strange to realize last night that this is pretty much the first weekend since early June I haven’t seen David and/or had another social engagement and I really had no idea whom to call on a Friday night for fun here in Lansing. My assumption was that all my fabulous friends had already made fabulous plans. I have isolated myself. As I look back over this year, it’s a pattern. I do this often. I think I’m a fool with a lack of perspective. People are important. Why am I not prioritizing them? Why have I allowed myself to drift? Who am I pouring myself into as ministry?

I really think friendships grow at their own rate and it’s no use pressuring them. Still, I need to be purposeful to meet needs (my own and others). We’re supposed to live in community. I need to do my part.

1 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,
You can always call me up. I usually don't have plans. I'm even available (for now) during the week if you want to go to the beach or something.

~Dana

 

Post a Comment

<< Home