Friday, October 28, 2005

It’s late tech night…. oh dearie, dear, dear. I’ve spent a relatively successful week with the kiddos and hopefully tonight will be more of the same.

I’m actually surprisingly good on this build. Only a few things to finish up tonight and we’re pretty much done. Two fences, some house painting, a few props to gather, a roof to attach, cornstalks to perfect, bales of hay to…um…well, shellac or glue together. I can only explain the purposes behind shellacking hay in very colorful language or in person (possibly both are required, but maybe I’ve grown out of that).

In other Oklahoma! news, a freshman put sawdust in my little bag of Gardetto’s yesterday. She was thinking she’d play a joke on another student. Hardy har har.

It was very funny when I dumped it into my mouth and started to chew. It took me a minute to realize what was going on, then I just gave her a loooong look (I have to be the adult and adding sawdust to food is not an adult-approvable action) and went to the restroom to rinse out my mouth. All would be fine except I got some stuck between two molars.

Science question: What happens when wood (say, small pieces like sawdust) absorbs moisture (say, saliva)?

Science Answer: it expands.

Result: I have a small but painful chunk of wet wood between my molars and I can’t even floss it out—the floss breaks.

I’m not sure how I’ll fix this one.

In other news, I think the most rewarding thing of the week has been watching a bunch of at-risk students get really enthusiastic about making pillows during the sewing unit we’re doing in Theatre Production. It’s much easier on me than giving them hard, sharp, electrified, heavy objects in an enclosed space.

Other than having to point out that one does not “pin the little f**kers together” or put down the presser foot “like an ugly man on a ho” in school, it’s been a lot of fun. It’s brought up a lot of good memories of kids’ grandmothers. It’s nice to hear from the soft side of certain kids sometimes.

Ok, I’m going to go see my good friend s at Menard’s. Some of them actually know my name these days. Yipes? Yipee? Who cares, they’ve got my shellac.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home