Saturday, September 10, 2005

Grammar Goddess

Ok people, if I am going to continue to read blogs I need to get this off my chest before my computer screen becomes mussed with corrective ink.
First, let me state that I am aware I am a geek (but I have a tattoo, that helps the coolness right?), and that I am an English geek, and that I really need to set down my colorful pen and have a weekend.....BUT this particular set of usage drives me nutso.

Item One: Its/It's

It's--Contraction of the words "it" and "is" (e.g. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to. OR It's silly of you to wear socks in the shower.)

Its--Shows possession (e.g. Don't take its toy or it will bite off your knuckles)

There is NO SUCH WORD as its'. It simply doesn't exist in the English language.

Item Two: There/Their/They're

There--indicates location (e.g. Don't you dare put that dead armadillo on the couch! Put it over there, in the trash can!)

Their--indicates possession (e.g. That is their house, it is impolite of you to walk in without knocking.).

They're--contraction of the words "they" and "are" (e.g. They're honeymooners on their honeymoon.)

Item Three: Your/You're

Your--Indicates possession (e.g. Is that your child drinking out of the dogs' dish?)

You're--Contraction of "you" and "are" (e.g. With this sentence, you're done with the grammar portion of your evening.)


Next up: the much abused then & than and a & an.

I will try to restrain myself from commenting on commas.

5 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Blogger Al said...

Meg, its good to see you caring about such things as grammar, goddess-hood, and geekness. Their are too many people in the world who simply ignore rules and suit they're hearts' desires. You're passion and delight in orderliness is a excellent reminder of those of us who reject authority and suffer it's wrath. I'm eagerly anticipating you're next post - than I can post again. Is they're anything better then that to hope for?

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Me said...

"You never put a noun against a verb except to blow up something."

--Drummond to Hornbeck, Inherit the Wind

--Meg to Alan, Saturday morning.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I apologize right off the start because I am probably one of the worst people around for the crimes listed above.

I will honestly give it a go to pull it together for your reading enjoyment. I've tended to slack in my attention to details as such.

Lo siento mi amiga, lo siento.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Sally said...

I [heart] you madly for this post. English geeks rock!

(I worry that perhaps I occasionally am one of the comma misusers. Please forgive me if that is indeed so.)

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,
Help me with effect, affect and what is the other one that trips me up? Hmmm....I'll let you know when I remember. Oh, and I loathe the overuse of "like" and "that."
~Holly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home